I began co-hosting WVPB’s Inside Appalachia with Caitlin Tan back in November 2020.
It’s been an amazing ride, and a new challenge for me to adapt to radio. It’s weird to hear one’s recorded voice on the computer, much less on my local WVTF/Radio IQ. I really enjoy working on the program. The team behind it is fantastic and it’s a joy to work with them.
Co-hosting Inside Appalachia also has given me the chance to 1) share stories by journalists across the region; 2) interview amazing people; 3) engage with meaningful stories through a regional frame. #3 sounds wonky but it’s a lot of the reason I got into journalism back in 2001.
Here are some of the stories I’ve produce for Inside Appalachia. A lot more to come, y’all!
- Two Months After Judge Ordered Them Down, Tree-Sitters Still Block Mountain Valley Pipeline
- 91-Year-Old Restaurant Keeps Chugging Despite All The Changes In Downtown Roanoke
- Shaun Slifer’s ‘So Much to Be Angry About’ Explores 1960s Appalachian Radicalism And Its Use Of A DIY Press
- How Children’s Book Writer Cynthia Rylant Found Her Calling in Southern West Virginia
- Appalachia’s “Gunmen Of Capitalism” And The Matewan Massacre
Below, find a selection of episodes and stories for Inside Appalachia.
- Working Parents, Childcare Workers and Children Are Struggling, How They Are Finding A Way Forward
- ‘Let’s Get To Work’ – Addressing Inequality And Racism In Appalachia
- Food And Family Holiday Traditions, Inside Appalachia
- In The Midst of Change, Preservation And Endurance In Appalachia
- 3 Stories About Fierce Appalachian Women
- Pandemic Exposes Social Disparities Inside Appalachia
- Punk Music, Banjos, Legendary Hot Dog Maker And More Inside Appalachia
- DIY Zines, A Legendary 91-Year-Old Diner, And Pandemic-Fueled Homebuying In Appalachia
- Sweet Tea, Red Wine, Skunks And Crankies: Storytelling Across Appalachia
- Children’s Authors Discuss Creativity, Appalachia And Diversity
- One Year Of COVID In Appalachia: Fathers Talk Bonding With Babies, Teenagers Share How The Pandemic Has Upended Their Lives, And More
- Planting Seeds of Change, Inside Appalachia
- Matriarchal Moonshiners, Legendary Lawbreakers And More, Inside Appalachia
- What Could Fix Appalachia’s Crumbling Water Systems?
- Anna Sale Discusses New Book ‘Let’s Talk About Hard Things,’ And We Talk About Gun Violence, Mother’s Day, And More
- A Tomato Mystery, Radioactive Waste, And Reunited Families
- Country Roads, Indie Pro-Wrestling, And A Story From Wales That Traversed An Ocean
I’m excited to continue making these shows and working with such a great team.